Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Passion with a Plan


"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it." ~ Simon Sinek

Today I want to talk about passion with a plan and why it's so crucial to starting and maintaining a successful business, especially for us disorganized creative types. Simon Sinek is a visionary thinker who really tickles my motivational buds. However, I want to take his advice above a step further.

So you wanna be an "artist"?
Do you want to tag "starving" to that descriptor? Nah, I didn't think so. I'm a real crusader when it comes to passion, but even I've come to realize the harsh reality that passion on its own really isn't enough to reach your goals. It's a beautiful thing, don't get me wrong. It keeps you highly motivated and keen of mind, and someone who loves what they're doing will always produce better quality work than someone who doesn't believe in what they do. But that brings me to the productive end of things...

Mapping out a plan...
It's kind of ridiculous how easy it is to lose sight of your goals if you don't have a plan in place to help you identify realistic, achievable benchmarks. It's all about what I like to call the process. There are always smaller steps to help you reach that end goal, and without a plan, you're never going to make it happen.

Channelling your passion into a purpose...
Before I started my copywriting business, all I knew was I wanted to write. I had romantic visions of stowing away in a mysterious attic, letting the words flow effortlessly from my brain through to my typewriter (because every cool writer uses old machinery, c'mon), churning out countless bestsellers and rubbing elbows with literary celebrities at wine and cheese parties. Yeah, I guess you could say my imagination was a little overactive.

I soon realized that while I had a true love for writing, my fantasy was never going to happen, or at least not overnight. When I researched other avenues, I came to see that I could make a viable business out of my skills through copywriting, but there were a lot of steps from creating my brand from scratch to finding low cost marketing strategies to test, snagging my first client, building my roster, networking, and the list goes on (and on...and on...).

I became a compulsive list maker. I took one step at a time. I fueled my passion, but I always, always kept it in check by following a plan that mapped out realistic goals that I had set for myself and which were certainly attainable.

While I've come far the past two years, I've still got so many accomplishments I've got my heart set on and a plan to make them happen. It's all about the baby steps. Having a fire under your ass is a great start, but you should never forget to enjoy the process of evolution and growth that takes place when you're chasing after your career dreams. It's pretty awesome to experience.

Don't think I'm not still holding out for my cobweb-ridden attic.


No comments:

Post a Comment